Thursday, December 27, 2007

GOP's Last Man Standing

by Robert Novak - December 27th, 2007 - Real Clear Politics

If Romney loses to Huckabee in Iowa, he becomes vulnerable to McCain in New Hampshire. If McCain wins there, he will be favored to sweep through subsequent primaries despite meager finances and organization.

This scenario does not connote a late-blooming affection for McCain among the party faithful. Indeed, he remains suspect to them on global warming, stem cell research, tax policy and immigration controls, not to mention his original sin of campaign finance reform (with authorship of the McCain-Feingold Act). Rather, his nomination would result from him being the last man standing, with all other candidates falling.

It is only the fact that Robert Novak is so often wrong that this prediction gives me some hope. I was just as concerned when Bob Steinburg, our Edenton sage, predicted McCain's victory a couple of days ago. (You can check out Bob's thoughts and my reaction here.)

I have not changed my mind. John McCain is not fit to be President. An angry old man, his major claim to fame, the torture he endured as a POW in the Vietnam War, has left him both a hero and unhinged. I can admire him as a soldier without thinking that he should ever be in a position of power over our nation.

John McCain frightens me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home